Image upload without role

Home Forums Guestbook Add-On Image upload without role

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Frank
    Participant

How can I make use of an Image Upload of users/visitors into their entries without having a user role (like editor etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Marcel Pol
    Keymaster

Hi Frank,
    I am sorry, but I think that idea is unwise and I am not planning to help with that.

But just to ask, how would you want it to be relatively secure against unwanted images?
    There is an email notification, but are you sure you will keep track of everything?

Frank
    Participant

Hi Marcel,

thanks for answer. In last instance I am looking for an orbituary plugin, so people can post the text related to the person which died and a related picture. The guestbook worked for that – only image upload was the problem. Cannot find anything similar.

Best, Frank

Marcel Pol
    Keymaster

Hi, maybe I sounded a bit strict.

I am thinking about adding custom capabilities. That would make it easier to customize acces to functionality.

Currently the upload uses a standard WordPress capability. With a plugin like User Role Editor, you can add that capability to users with the role of Subscribers. However, this would make the whole media library be available to them.
    With a custom capability this should be only for the media upload in the guestbook.

Even then, you want to keep a tight leash on your users on what they upload.

Frank
    Participant

Yes, this would be a great idea. Will you do that – and if you will, what do you think how long will that take?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Frank.
    Frank
    Participant

Any news?

Marcel Pol
    Keymaster

Hi Frank,
    Yes, I just released 2.5.0 of the Add-On. It should offer a custom capability for gwolle_gb_upload_files.
    With a plugin like User Role Editor, you can add that capability to Authors and Contributors and Subscribers (or any role desired).

Then when loading the form as a user with such a role, you should be able to upload images.
    All without full access to the Media Library.

Please be aware that you want strict moderation on these images in the Media Library. That is what the notifications are for.

Also, if users are not logged in, you cannot assign any capability to them. Only with a user account does someone have a role with capabilities.

By the way, there will be an admin notice about upgrading the main plugin. That should be fine, I will release that later, so people can first update the add-on.

Frank
    Participant

Hi Marcel, thanks for the Info/ Work. Will Check this next week..

Best Frank

Frank
    Participant

…By the way, how will I get the new version of the Add-on? EDIT: found it :-)

Best

Frank

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.